Someone I worked with briefly is visiting Vancouver. She asked for vegetarian restaurant recommendations. I asked my friends on Facebook, then checked their suggestions on Urban Spoon. Finally I filtered out some places I don’t like. Lots of people seemed to find the list useful, so I’m posting it here too.
I would recommend The Acorn, or Grub if you want to go out for a really nice meal with friends who are not veg.
- The Acorn (3995 Main Street) – gets really good reviews from friends, Urbanspoon 82%
- Heirloom Vegetarian (1509 West 12th) – also gets great reviews from friends, Urbanspoon 70%
- Grub (4328 Main Street) not strictly vegetarian, but they always have a vegetarian/vegan options that are lovely. There’s also a sweet patio in the back, and they make boozy punch, which is nice. Urbanspoon 91%
Nuba is super delicious and there’s a few of them—fresh and tasty Lebanese food.
- Nuba (4 locations) – I love Nuba! They make fresh, delicious and reasonably priced Lebanese food. My ex-gf (who is Australian) still complains that you can’t get Lebanese Pizza in Canada. You can’t. But you can get a really kickass felafal or fatoush. Urbanspoon 90%
- The Naam (2724 West 4th Ave) Some people recommended this. I say ‘meh’, though sometimes you are craving some potato wedges with miso gravy and a salad with grated beets in it. I wouldn’t go out of your way to go here. Though it’s open 24 hours, so it’s got that going for it. Urbanspoon 75%
- Po Kong (1334 Kingsway) fake meat! Gluten! Vegetarian Chinese food. Urbanspoon 85%
- The Parker (237 Union Street) haven’t been here but some folks recommended it. It’s in Chinatown and has “vegan friendly, romantic, late night, outdoor dining and farm-to-table” tags on UrbanSpoon (77%). I’m not sure about you, but for me these tags conjure up an experience I might enjoy (or absolutely loathe) depending on my mood/budget/company.
- Chau Veggie Express (5052 Victoria Drive between 34th and 35th) – vegetarian and vegan Vietnamese food. I haven’t been here before but I will go. Urbanspoon 96% (!!!)
- Planet Veg (1941 Cornwall Ave) tasty wraps and stuff, apparently. If you go to Kits beach or the Museum of Vancouver or Planatarium (or the Archive, though I don’t know why you would do that) it’s nearby. Urbanspoon 83%
- Gorilla Food (436 Richards) Downtown! Raw food! Urbanspoon 86%
- Bandidas Taqueria (2781 Commercial Drive) – tasty! Cute staff! Lots of bikes! Though if you are from Texas (you probably have pretty picky tastes in tacos and might want to skip Mexican food in Canada) Urbanspoon 83%
- Perch (337 East Hastings) I think they also make good gluten free pizza. Urbanspoon 86%
- 3G Vegetarian Restaurant (3424 Cambie Street) lots of tasty fake meat, including “chicken wings”. Nom. Urbanspoon 86%
- Fassil Ethopian (Fraser and Broadway) – has a great veggie combo. Friend’s favourite Ethopian restaurant. Urbanspoon 91%
- Axum Ethopian (1279 East Hastings) Urbanspoon 89%
- East is East (a couple of locations) tasty food but kinda pricey. It always seems to be full of white hippies. I think people who are not white hippies (or don’t live in the neighbourhood) go elsewhere for Indian food. Urbanspoon 88%
Don’t bother going to
- Foundation – bad service from cranky hipsters, expensive for what it is
- Wallflower – meh. Consensus that the both food and service have gone downhill.